Omigoodness it seemed like forever before hubby and I would ever finish painting our clapboard farmhouse!
We started the project toward the end of July and finally brushed the last bit of paint on her the weekend before Halloween … just before it got cold.
Hubby predicted it would take 3 months and he was right.
We had to cut down the bushes in the front of the house to paint it.
Which really didn’t bother me because they were overgrown anyway.
If they don’t grow back then I’ll simply replace them.
The hardest part of the house to paint is the peaks with the gingerbread trim.
To reach this front peak, hubby had to dangerously perch a ladder on the scaffold!
Our rule is … if you paint the peak you get to pick the colors for the gingerbread trim.
Hubby painted this one too. I love that aqua against the dark blue.
I painted this piece of gingerbread. I’ve seen some houses with gingerbread painted all one color.
I like to use several colors to bring out all the details of the trim work.
I also like giving windows a two-tone paint application.
I think it adds depth and character to our clapboard farmhouse.
It’s such a relief to have this big paint job finished.
We grabbed hours here and there on the weekends … just the two of us.
And of course there were always interruptions …
… like family gatherings, harvesting and canning veggies from the garden, etc.
But now our clapboard farmhouse is finally painted and standing proud.
We used Sherwin William’s Resilience paint in the following colors …
Clapboard Siding in Butter Up
Main Trim in Snowbound
Window Trim in Downpour
Front and Back Doors in Rivulet