Whenever I move into a house, one of the first things I do is add flower boxes under the front windows. It’s a feature I’ve always loved and is a must-have for me. Here are seven tips for creating beautiful window box ideas to amp up your home’s curb appeal.
1. Sunny Location: Choose classic geraniums and petunias (above). Be sure to choose wave or bell petunias for a cascading look. I love when the flowers are overflowing beneath the window.
2. Monochromatic Look: Normally I choose flower colors that contrast with the siding on the house, but consider the beauty of this tone on tone look below.
3. Go for Greenery: Some people aren’t a fan of flowers – gasp! – and if you’re one of them, you might enjoy adding a window box or two filled with green plants. Sweet potato ivy would make a great choice since it cascades and is a fast grower. Any kind of ivy works great though. Choose different leaf shapes in various shades of green for the greatest visual impact.
4. Opt for Heirlooms: Add old-fashioned curb appeal by tucking heirloom flowers into a window box, like foxglove, celosia
5. Pick Just One: One type of flower, that is. A group of impatiens enhances the cottage style vibe of this charming older home.
6. Overplant Your Window Box: I always plant my plugs closer together than recommended when it comes to a window box. Doing so makes the box look fuller faster. You can always prune the flowers or even pull a few out it they start to look unhealthy due to lack of space.
7. Plant for the Season: Choose pansies or other cool weather plants for spring flower boxes. When the weather gets warmer, swap them out for summer plants.
More Gardening Tips for You: