Say hello to Pasta Pomodoro with Lentils! This is an easy, Tuscan-inspired pasta recipe that adds the richness and texture of lentils.
This recipe really hit the spot for me! I’m a pretty picky eater and a dish has to be above average in order for me to make it more than once, and I’ll be making Pasta Pomodoro with Lentils over and over.
You can make this recipe with a homemade tomato and basil sauce, but if you’re short on time, your favorite canned sauce will do just fine.
This recipe calls for Pomodoro sauce which is similar to Marinara, except the tomatoes are finely diced and it’s thicker than Marinara which is typically thin with chunks of tomato. Pomodoro is also simmered longer so it has a deeper red color.
I love incorporating lentils into recipes since they’re a good source of protein. As a vegetarian, I’m always looking for ways to add protein to my diet. I do eat fish but only once a week, so any other protein is always good.
The finishing touch to this flavorful dish is a wonderful sprinkling of fresh grated cheese!
Pasta Pomodoro with Lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried lentils rinsed and drained
- 1 jar Bertolli® Tomato & Basil Sauce
- 8 ounces penne pasta cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese or parmigiano reggiano cheese
- Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan over high heat. Stir in lentils. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered, stirring occasionally for 35 minutes or until lentils are tender; drain lentils and set aside. Bring sauce to a boil in same saucepan over high heat. Stir in lentils. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Toss hot penne with sauce mixture and place in individual serving bowls. Top with cheese.