Do you get nostalgic around the holidays like I do? I remember Christmases from my childhood and the great joy the holiday held. Part of those fond memories includes favorite foods and treats. And so, with a nod to nostalgia, I’m sharing a simple homemade eggnog recipe with you!
Once again I’m joining the Seasonal Simplicity tour hosted by Krista at The Happy Housie. Today a fun group of bloggers, including myself, are sharing a variety of Christmas recipes.
I tend to shy away from homemade eggnog since it’s not low-calorie but then it occurred to me. Why not serve it for dessert?
Homemade eggnog is custard-y and frothy. I don’t like cake or anything heavy after a big meal, so a little shot of eggnog would be a great choice for dessert. Sure, the pies and cookies will still be served, but I’m grabbing a glass of eggnog after dinner on Christmas Day!
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 pint whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces bourbon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 egg whites
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until sugar is completely dissolved.
- In a medium saucepan, over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream, and nutmeg and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and very gradually pour the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Return everything to the saucepan and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon, pour into a medium mixing bowl, and set in the refrigerator to chill.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. With the mixer running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture. Serve chilled. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkling of nutmeg, if desired.
You can keep leftover eggnog in the fridge for a few days. Whisk briskly into a light froth before serving.
For more holiday goodness, visit my blogging friends below!
How to Make Mulled Wine (Glühwein Recipe) at The Happy Housie
DIY Colonial Gingerbread House at Sincerely, Marie Designs
Christmas Wreath Veggie Pizza at Clean & Scentsible
Homemade Eggnog at Town and Country Living
Easy Holiday Appetizer at Rooms FOR Rent
Secret Ingredient Gingerbread Cookies at Jenna Kate at Home
Snowball Cookies at Finding Silver Pennies
Easy Gluten Free Shortbread with White Chocolate and Toffee at Home Made Lovely
Brown Butter Sugar Cookies with Chocolate Ganache
The Best One Hour Orange Rolls at Summer Adams Designs
Cake Mix Quick Bread Recipe at On Sutton Place
Best Waffle Recipe Ever at The DIY Mommy
The Most Chocolatey Hot Chocolate Cookies at A Pretty Life
Eggnog Bread Recipe at Tauni Everett
Instant Pot Ham at TIDBITS Marci
Toblerone Shortbread with Browned Flour at Life is a Party
Spicy Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies at Modern Glam
Christmas Tree Marshmallow Hot Cocoa Toppers at The Turquoise Home
Easy Creme Brulee for the Holidays at Hallstrom Home