Blackberry Lemon Muffins combine the fruity goodness of blackberries with the citrus-y appeal of lemons. The combination of flavors makes for a delightful muffin that’s perfect for breakfast or snacking.
Today I’m joining several other bloggers to bring you a collection of seasonal summer recipes! A special thank you to Krista at The Happy Housie for organizing today’s delectable event.
I’ve been working on a Blackberry Lemon muffin recipe for a while now. The first batch I made wasn’t sweet enough and the muffins were heavy, but today’s recipe is just right.
The recipe is a revised version of one I found at Two Peas and Their Pod. There are a few foodie bloggers I love – and Two Peas is one of them!
I like my blackberry lemon muffins to have a marbled effect when baked, so I gently stir the washed berries into the better to create swirls of color. If you stir too much, you won’t get the swirls.
After filling the muffin cups to slightly overflowing, generously sprinkle raw cane sugar (also called turbinade sugar) over the tops of the muffins before baking. This gives them a crispier muffin top.
The blackberry lemon muffins are ever-so-slightly golden brown when they come out of the oven.
The recipe calls for one cup of ricotta cheese, which gives the muffins a special moistness. I could’ve easily eaten six of these at one sitting!
Blackberries are my favorite fruit and I’m happy to use them in a recipe whenever possible. Of course, I love eating them raw as a pick-me-up snack. The lemon zest and juice gives the muffin an uplifting layer of flavor.
Ever since tasting Blackberry Lemon muffins at our local coffee shop, The Corner Grind, I wanted to find a similar recipe I could bake at home. Finally I’ve found a rival to the one sold just a few blocks from my home!
Blackberry Lemon Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Zest of two lemons
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blackberries
- Turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl, thoroughly mix the sugar and lemon zest. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar/lemon mixture and butter until light and fluffy (a couple minutes). Add the ricotta cheese and beat until smooth. Beat in the egg, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just blended. With a spoon, add the blackberries and very gently stir with spoon until dough takes on a marbled look from the blackberry's juice. Fill each muffin with batter until slightly rounded above muffin liner. Sprinkle turbinado sugar over each muffin.
- Bake muffins for about 20-22 minutes, or until the tops are turning golden brown. Let muffins cool before serving.
More Berry Recipes to Try:
Visit my blogging friends below for more summertime recipes!
Lavender Blackberry Sparkling Lemonade at Satori Design for Living // Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes at Nina Hendrick Design Co. // Luscious Lemon Curd Parfaits at Summer Adams // Strawberry Jello Poke Cake at A Pretty Life